I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the technical difficulties multiple reviewers have been experiencing with their units. This sort of thing can happen with pre-production models. I’ve certainly had issues with review units in the past, but these reports are worth mentioning as a note of caution with a product, which we were concerned might not be prepared for prime moment only a couple of weeks ago.
At the very least, it’s as good a reason as any to wait a couple of weeks before more of these are out in the world before dropping $2,000 to determine how widespread these issues are.
All of that said, I’ve not had any technical issues with my Samsung star system Fold. So far, so good. a day or so in does, however, tend to be the moment when the harsh light of day starts to seep in on these things, after that initial novelty of the company’s admittedly superb feat begins wane.
Using the appliance in the govern up to our large robotics event tomorrow, a number of TechCrunch co-workers have demanded a few minutes with the the appliance. The reviews so far have been mixed, with most calling out the thick form factor when closed, as well as the crease. The latter, at least, is really dependent on environmental lighting. In the case of the backstage venue at this event, it’s harsh overhead office lighting, which tends to bring the crease out when the phone is facing the ceiling.
On the other hand, I used the phone to watch videos while using the elliptical at the gym this morning. Titled toward me, the crease wasn’t noticeable. It’s also one of the ideal use cases for the product.
Some more notes:
- The company’s stated “day long” life is beautiful on the cash. I got just over 24 hours of quality use (subtracting my five hours on a plane).
- The screen has a built-in protector that looks a lot like the kind of adhesive guard Samsung’s phones ship with. Don’t peel it off. You will harm the phone.
- I accidentally (I swear) dropped it off a table. It survived unscathed.
- So many fingerprints.
- The green complete looks like gold under certain lights. I definitely would have gone in for blue.
- We used the handset for a google Hangout. It was kind of awesome. Kept open at an angle, it can prop itself up.
- The snap to close is still satisfying.